Tuesday, May 22, 2012

TABLE remodel!!!

Wow three entries in one day. Calli would be proud ;)
So we have been on the search for affordable practical outdoor furniture and have not had much success. So I decided I would makeover the table we put outside. Easy enough right?.... yeah not so much haha
So this table was one given to us about two years ago. It was a used kitchen table in decent condition. Well last year said table got put outside on our patio. Doesn't seem like a horribel idea until you remember that it rains almost everyday here. It is is forever damp. So this not so bad kitchen table went from white with light pine to black/brown with a hint of dark green...... a spot of white fuzz. Yeah ew. but I was determined to make this work!
I wasn't sure just what I was going to do with it but I wanted fun and bright! so we heading to B & G aka.. a micro Home depot with only half the stuff. And they proceeded to tell me they cannot mix exterior paint, so my only option was white.  Not really my thing. So after see the Avengers ( KICK ASS MOVIE BTW) we headed into a much larger  B & Q and they guy there tells me he can mix exterior paint into ANY color I want. Woohoo! I quickly scamper around the store find color swatches. The very helpful man mixes the paint and we are ready to go.
Since it rains here all the time here , I decided I had to do this project indoors. This meant.. our dining room. It's the only room big enough. So things got covered with trash bags and furniture got removed. We brought in the table and took it apart.
 Table top.. yep the black is mold.

The rather sad chairs.All the white paint had chipped and started to grow mold underneath.       Again I say....ew.








Immediately I washed everything down with pure bleach to kill the mold. * Note to self open windows next time!* 
The next step was sanding! Luckily we have this awesome electric sander so we were cooking with gas! So I started with the table top!
Luckily the mold came off. I then moved onto the chairs..... and they were a PAIN IN THE BUTT! They were taking forever and  I was getting nowhere. Not to mention the fact that the room was becoming a huge dust cloud. Oh and did I mention I didn't have a mask for my face, only a bandana covering my nose and mouth. Bad idea. Between the mess and the dust making me feel icky, I was quickly feeling defeated. So I sent out an SOS to my SOS group :)  Luckily Calli responded!


Calli is awesome. She is definitely a go-getter and I love that about her. So she showed up and brought her sander! And we tackled the rest of the furniture! Each chair took an hour and we were covered in dust! But 5 hours later we finished sanding!


Poor Calli, covered in sawdust but STILL smiling! :)










Next Step! Prime everything with the white undercoat. Could not find KILLZ anywhere here, so went with a weather undercoat.

Now the fun part! Color!! I decided to go with some dramatic but fun shades. Turns out this paint makes a HUGE mess. does not like to come out of paintbrushes.






 For the chairs I went with orange and yellow, the table blue and the legs and table runner stencils green :)


So Now I needed a stencil for table runner. I couldn't find anythng in any of the stores here. So after searching online I was able to find  Damask pattern I really liked. Printed it on regular 8x 11 paper and then cut it out with a straight razor. Took forever! But it worked. The stencil didn't come out terribly neat but for what I had to work with I am pleased with the over all results. Especially for my first time :)






And now the end results!














3 comments:

  1. Well done, Katie! That table looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you posted this! You did an amazing job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw thanks ladies :) That is very kind of you to say :)

    ReplyDelete